Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Day 12: The Berlin Wall

I walked home alone this morning (after walking Chris to work for his first day) and came across a Berlin Wall "walking exhibit". This is something I've seen from the window of a taxi a few times but couldn't remember where it was. So it was perfect to come across it by happenchance. I was able to take my time reading the plaques. I was able to feel my emotions, have the information sink in, and really be in the moment as I walked through.

Because I had planned on jogging home, I had my music on, which served as a sort of soundtrack. I couldn't help but notice how of some of the lyrics seemed to highlight what I was walking through. I have included some lyrics along with some photos and information from my experience.
"Can't complain about much these days, I believe we'll be okay."
(Be Okay by Oh Honey)
"When the sins of my father, Weigh down in my soul"
(Make it Rain by Ed Sheeran)
"This section of the wall, and accompanying guard tower, was placed over the Sophien parish cemetery. Most of those buried were moved, except for those who died in WWII. In 1997, the Sophien parish broke off two sections of the Berlin Wall that stood on what were believed to be graves from WWII. The Wall segments that were removed have been stored on the cemetery grounds ever since."

I have a hard time figuring out where I am. I know I'm on the East side, that's what the sign says, but then I look behind me and there's another wall. I really think I'm in the corridor between the two walls (the "Death Strip"). 

There is an eastern wall, then a fence that triggers an alarm, then a wide corridor, then a western wall. So, I think this is where I am for most of my walk. It is also confusing, as the Wall was not a straight line, but jagged going this way and that depending on where it was.
Here is a piece of the Sophien parish's cemetery entryway created with it's entry and gate. What used to stand there before the SED destroyed it for the construction of the wall. The cross is one, of two, that are there to commemorate mass graves, believed to be there, that were not moved when those others buried in the cemetery were moved.

On the left, the foundation of a house that was close to the Wall.
Before the Wall was renovated, and the house boarded up,
people would go through this house and jump out the window
(fire brigade on the West would be there with a net),
or they'd climb down a pipe down.
I am amazed by how many are walking around, reading the signs and looking at the monuments. It's not crowded, but it's also not empty. I am touched by how many are interested in the emotional history that happened here.


(longer passage from Afterlife by Ingrid Michaelson)

When the world is breaking down around you
Taking everything that you know
What you didn't know
Is that we can go forever if we want to
We can live inside of a moment
The one that we own

You and me we got this
You and me we're beautiful, beautiful

We all, we all, we're gonna be alright
We got, we got, we always got the fight in us
We all, we all, we're gonna live tonight
Like there's no tomorrow 'cause we're the afterlife

Living like you're dying isn't living at all
Give me your cold hands put them on my heart
Raise a glass to everyone who thinks
They'll never make it through this life
To live a brand-new start

You and me we got this
You and me we're beautiful, beautiful

We all, we all, we're gonna be alright
We got, we got, we always got the fight in us
We all, we all, we're gonna live tonight
Like there's no tomorrow 'cause we're the afterlife
'Cause we're the afterlife

The Reconciliation Church was blown up by the SED, but the top cross
was saved by "someone" and returned to the church in 1990 (left).
"This sculpture, created by Josefina de Vasconcellos, is a call for reconciliation
following the devestation of Second World War. Copies exist at sites that were
deeply affected by the war: in the Coventry cathedral in the Hiroshima peace
museum - and in the former border strip at the Berlin Wall." (right)

No comments:

Post a Comment