Monday, September 9, 2013

Lava River Caves

Looking back at the entrance.
WHEN: September 9, 2013

WHERE: Bend, OR. Near Sunriver.


WHY: This hike was to be able to say, "We summited at 8,000 ft above sea-level and then down a mile into the earth all in the same week."


Walking into the dark.
WHO: Chris, Diana, Venice and Xander.


WEATHER: Sunny and hot above ground, but dark and 40-42 degrees F in the caves. The late summer weather encouraged a lot of wasps buzzing around the entrance of the cave.


WHAT:
Approximately a 2 mile round trip.
Cave entrance is 4,500 ft above sea level. Deepest point in cave is 4,350 ft.


Glad to have a lot of light!
"It was so dark that it was pitch black. We brought flashlights and lanterns. I was scared of the dark and of bats. After awhile, I just felt brave. The walk was good." - Xander

"It was really amazing because at one point we were under the highway and at another point we saw sand castles. There were a bunch of little posts telling us where we were and how the lava tubes formed. I was a little scared too, but when Xander was scared, it gave me a reason to be brave, so that he could be brae too." - Venice

"I thought I'd be nervous walking deep into the earth, but the experience was so fascinating, I forgot to be afraid. I'm sure I would have screamed, but I was disappointed to not see any bats." - Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment